Don’t forget: some advice is timeless.
1. “Actions speak louder than words.” Nobody cares what you’re thinking, they care what you did. Similar to:
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou
2. Don’t try to win an argument. Try to have the truth come out, whether from your mouth or another’s. Sometimes, just be quiet.
3. Golden Rule: be as kind and thoughtful as possible. That said, don’t let yourself fall into Idiot Compassion.
4. We can’t always be the smartest: but we can work with passion. Let your success make noise for you. Don’t brag. Outwork them. Surround yourself with folks smarter than yourself.
5. If you need to make yourself feel good by making others feel bad, look at yourself in the mirror. Don’t make fun of other people for who they are (how they laugh, eat, dress).
6. Take your responsibilities seriously. If an animal depends on you for exercise, pooping, food and love, be there for it. Your word is your bond. Take your promises to heart, or don’t make them.
7. Can you help someone who needs it? Do it. I’m sick today, and a friend who I have known for a long time but now well just came by with soup, other healthy stuff, and walked my dog (he hasn’t been out much for a few days). Probably cost her $30 at least (I’ll get her back 🙂 ).
8. Keep perspective. If you’re freaked out about the future, focus on doing concrete small things well today. If you’re freaked out about the present (say, a test), remember you won’t remember this test in 20 years’ time.
9. Take responsibility for your actions. Take blame. This ends the hot-potato argument where blame gets pushed back and forth and just grows hotter and bigger as it goes.
10. Be on time. On time is early.
11. Don’t steal. Instead, find a way to make money by doing something you enjoy doing that benefits others.
12. (Bonus): Enjoy the ride! For more, here.