I used to worry about everything. Every. Damn. Thing. I worried about things that were currently happening. I worried about things that hadn’t happened yet. I even worried about things that might not ever happen.
Why? Why do we spend energy worrying about things that we can’t change? For me, it was the need to control everything going on in my life. The problem with that is, I would stress myself out. I would get discouraged when future plans weren’t happening fast enough. I was spending too much time thinking about, and planning, my future and not enough time living in the moment. I was so consumed with the future that I was missing out on right now.
I’m making a conscious effort now, every single day, to enjoy and appreciate where I am right at this moment. I’m making an effort to enjoy my life, and the people in it, today. Living in the moment has allowed me to:
- Appreciate my surroundings. I can enjoy the sunshine on my face and the gentle breeze coming in through the window.
- Appreciate and enjoy the people in my company. I can really hear the lightheartedness in a laugh and see the joy in someone’s eyes when they smile at me.
- Feel grateful for where I am and what I have in my life, right now, today.
- Concentrate on one task at a time instead of trying to juggle everything at once.
- Accept and appreciate the journey it took for me to get here.
Spending too much time worrying about the future was robbing me of the experience of realizing how beautiful my life is. It truly is beautiful. I have so much to be thankful for: love and peace and joy, just to name a few.
If you find yourself in a similar situation, take a minute to pause and remember where you are in your life, in this moment. Take a minute to appreciate all that you have. I promise that you will feel lighter and happier, instantly.