Music is everybody’s possession. It’s only publishers who think that people own it.
~ John Lennon
I love music. I love practicing yoga with music. (I also love practicing yoga in silence sometimes.) I have zero musical talent, but I agree with virtuoso guitar icon Jimi Hendrix’s sentiment: “Music is my religion.”
The chakra of the month—the third eye—is all about intuition, insight and imagination.
While I can’t guarantee that this music will help you open your third eye, these are some of my all-time favorite songs, both for yoga practice and just for the pure enjoyment of listening.
1. Be Here Now by Ray LaMontagne
Opening meditation. Breathe and arrive in the present moment.
2. Do You Realize? by The Flaming Lips
It really broke my heart when they used this song in a car commercial, but I still love it.
3. See-Line Woman by Nina Simone
Or, really, any song by Nina Simone.
4. Big Brown Eyes by The Old 97s
This song reminds me of Texas.
5. Dream Baby by Roy Orbison
Sweet dream, baby!
6. I Can See Clearly Now by Johnny Nash
7. Within You Without You by The Beatles
George Harrison’s meditation-inspired musical creation, featuring Ravi Shankar on sitar.
8. Into the Mystic by Van Morrison
9. The Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson
10. All a Dream by Norah Jones
Regard all dharmas as dreams.
11. How by Regina Spektor
Her videos are all so creative!
12. Sacred Vision by Iron & Wine
See also: every song ever written by Iron & Wine.
13. Redemption Song by Bob Marley
Ideal for cooling down, restorative or yin yoga poses.
14. Imagine by John Lennon
My all-time favorite savasana song. Relax in silence for as long as possible after the song ends.
Check out more chakra playlists:
- Rock Your Root Chakra
- A Smooth Sacral Chakra Playlist
- Powerful Solar Plexus Tunes
- Love is My Religion: A Happy (Not Sappy) Heart Chakra Playlist.
- Kind of Blue: an Expressive, Eclectic Fifth Chakra Playlist.
Love elephant and want to go steady?
Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!
Editor: Catherine Monkman
Read 2 comments and reply