The Easter Bunny is getting ready and is calling everyone to help him go green this year!
- Opt out of buying cheap, disposable, plastic baskets. Not only are they not green and they fill up the landfills with junk, they are petroleum based and toxic. Buy a nice basket that can be re-used again and again either from a fair trade organization, arts and crafts fair or even thrift store!
- Nix the Easter grass! Also toxic and dangerous, not to mention bad for the earth, plastic easter grass is the worst and a total waste of money. Shred green construction paper or grow your own Easter grass!
- Don’t waste eggs, get creative with paper mache eggs, paintable ceramic eggs or find eco-eggs made from corn to hide treats in.
- Paint wooden or ceramic eggs. A night out at a place like Color Me Mine is a great alternative to dying eggs at home. No real eggs and no mess! Put them out later for your egg hunt and use them year after year.
- Buy vegan, local and fair trade candies to build the healthiest and most eco-friendly Easter basket ever!
- Look for paper basket grass as opposed to the plastic kind. This “green” paper kind can be used year round for other gifts, packing materials, etc.
- Bake vegan easter cakes in egg and bunny shaped molds. These are great in gift baskets, are healthier and cheaper than ordering stuff online that requires shipping.
- Give children great illustration heavy books like pop-ups instead of toys they will grow out of an create more waste. Books nourish their minds and create wonderful memories.
- Skip the candy and give creative gifts this year. Re-use a basket by covering it in left over, festive fabric. Fill basket with paints and crayons, small sketch books, stickers and blank t-shirts or socks to personalize.
- Add some seed packets and celebrate spring with a new garden!
Check out some of my faves for kids and adults alike!
Chocolate, Candies and Treats
- Allison’s Gourmet—Vegan chocolate bunnies and eggs and candy galore! The best around!
- Vegan Essentials—Always stocked with vegan sweets fit for kids and adults.
- Chocolate Inspirations—Another one of my all time faves for chocolates and divine morsels
- Surf Sweets—All natural, vegan gummies, jelly beans and candies
- Sjaak’s Organic Chocolates—Super cute organic, vegan chocolates for Easter
Baskets and Fillers
- Etsy—For handmade, unique Easter gifts, this is THE place! From crochet eggs to sweet soaps, you can fill up a basket with tons of eco, vegan goodies!
- Fair Trade USA—Find beautiful, one-of-a-kind, handmade gifts and baskets that are green and help people around the world
- Heart of Haiti—A great product line of handmade, artisan gifts and crafts (gorgeous handmade baskets!) that help families and micro-preneurs in Haiti
- Easter bunny crayons—So cute!
- Eco Art Card Set—Eco and creative, the best combo for young minds!
- Rabbit Needle felting Kit—Keep your kids happy and busy by gifting them a kit to create their own eco doll!
- Eco Sidewalk chalk—Green fun!
Here’s “hopping” you have a great Easter!
Love elephant and want to go steady?
Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!
Editor: Catherine Monkman
Photos: Hans Splinter/Flickr
Read 2 comments and reply