If I called my friends at midnight and asked them to bring a shovel, they’d show up, no questions asked. With a shovel and a bottle of wine in tow, probably.
They are my staunchest supporters and I know that if I’m struggling, I can call and talk openly with any of them without fear of judgment or an outpouring of unsolicited advice. If I need an ear, they’ll listen. If I need to cry, they’ll let me or cry with me. If I just want to vent, they welcome that, too. And they are unfailingly honest with me, as I am with them.
I have mad love for all of my friends, and I know that they feel the same.
I consider myself lucky and blessed to have a number of loyal, compassionate, strong, kind, wonderful, supportive friends in my life. I even have a best friend who may be the only person on Earth who knows exactly who I am, knows my every secret, and loves me anyway. We’ve been friends since high school, and she can even sense when I’m having a difficult time without me having to say a word—and she does it from another state. She supported me through the ups and downs of my marriage, through the challenges of a divorce and single parenting two very small children and she continues to support me through the hilarious roller coaster that is dating in my 30s.
When we’re lucky enough to have loyal friends, we need to make sure that we don’t take them for granted. It’s easy to do so when we’re all so busy, but it’s important that we take the time and reach out and make sure that our friends know that they, too, have our support.
So with the view of expressing gratitude for friendship, I hunted down some quotes on why friendship is essential in our lives.
May it serve as a reminder to us all to reach out to our friends and thank them for being in our lives:
1. “If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together…there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart…I’ll always be with you.” ~ Winnie the Pooh
2. “Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It’s not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.” ~ Muhammad Ali
3. “Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together.” ~ Woodrow T. Wilson
4. “It’s the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter.” ~ Marlene Dietrich
5. “We cannot tell the precise moment when friendship is formed. As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over; so in a series of kindnesses there is at last one which makes the heart run over.” ~ Ray Bradbury
6. “Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it’s all over.” ~ Octavia Butler
7. “Some people go to priests, others to poetry, I to my friends.” ~ Virginia Woolf
8. “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” ~ Oprah Winfrey
9. “My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.” ~ Henry Ford
10. “Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.” ~ Anais Nin
11. “Friends are the family you choose.” ~ Jess C. Scott
12. “Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
13. “I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.” ~ Helen Keller
14. “Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you; spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life.” ~ Amy Poehler
15. “Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity.” ~ Khalil Gibran
16. “Dear George: Remember no man is a failure who has friends.” ~ Clarence, It’s a Wonderful Life
17. “A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.” ~ William Shakespeare
18. “A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.” ~ Jim Morrison
19. “There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven’t yet met.” ~ William Butler Yeats
20. “There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship.” ~ Thomas Aquinas
Author: Crystal Jackson
Image: Elephant Journal/Instagram
Editor: Katarina Tavčar