View this post on Instagram
Whether Astrology is science or magic, we’re open to most things, if they may be of benefit. ~ Ed.
Fourteen celebrities who think Mercury retrograde is ruining their lives:
>> “When Mercury is in retrograde, basically that means that everything is going to be completely wrong and messed up and miscommunicated.” ~ Taylor Swift
>> “I see u mercury in retrograde. Come at me bruh.” ~ Katy Perry
>> “And Mercury is in retrograde!!!!” ~ Maria Shriver
>> “Now it all makes sense Mercury is in Retrograde until Feb. Ugh.” ~ Lisa Rinna
>> “I need to ask to please never again shoot the Reunion when Mercury is in retrograde.” ~ Kyle Richards
>> “Mercury in retrograde is for realsies, like, single white femaling me.” ~ Stassi Schroeder
>> “Mercury is in retrograde and I feel like I’m on Punked.” ~ LeAnne Rimes
>> “Is mercury still in retrograde? Sure feels like it. Sha?” ~ Denise Richards
>> “Anyone know how long Mercury is in retrograde because it’s getting a bit challenging… take your shots, real question though.” ~ Jeremy Piven
>> “Mercury is in retrograde so bought a bunch for cheap at Target.” ~ Diplo
>> “Is mercury in retrograde or something. Bc I am having a shit day.” ~Bethenny Frankel
How Does The Planet Mercury Affect Me?
Celebrities like Adele, Cameron Diaz, Kim Kardashian, Rihanna, and Bella Hadid are not the only ones who believe in astrology. According to James Lasdun, writing for The Fall Guy, 30% of Americans believe in astrology. Astrology is based on a simple understanding that all the planets in the sky exert their own unique influence on each of us, and the world we live in.
Here’s how the planet Mercury affects you:
Mercury rules your intelligence, mind, memory, and all types of communication ranging from talking and texting to writing. It also affects your self-expression and communication style. In a more public sense, it rules commerce, computers, telephones, transportation, and air travel. How Mercury functions in your birth chart explains a great deal about how you formulate ideas and how you share them. It indicates how you make sense of the everyday world you live in.
During these three weeks, called Mercury retrograde, your mental faculties are not functioning well; in fact, they “go on vacation.”
Under this planetary influence (which occurs three times this year), communications of all types go “haywire!” You’ll experience misunderstandings and communication failures in such great abundance that you’ll look up at the sky and stars and say, “What the hell is going on?”
The answer is: Mercury is in retrograde.
What Could Go Wrong?
Here is just a sampling of some of the things that may go wrong in your life at this time: For example, no matter how well you and your spouse normally communicate, you’ll find yourself misspeaking, saying the wrong thing, and having disagreements you don’t normally have.
At work (even if you’re remote and meeting with colleagues on Zoom or Webex), even though you’re sure that you’ve explained yourself clearly to the other person, they do the opposite of what you said; and they are sure they followed your instructions. Your fail-proof computer crashes. You experience equipment and mechanical breakdowns of all types.
You’ll hearken back to the time you heard your car’s engine make that funny noise, causing you to say: “I should have my mechanic check that out.” Well, during Mercury retrograde, that’s when your car will suddenly not work and you’ll wish you had paid a visit to your mechanic.
The monthly check that is automatically generated by your bank and sent out doesn’t arrive, and neither does that merchandise you ordered online. Since Mercury rules transportation, equipment is unreliable; so it’s not an ideal time to buy a car because it may be a “lemon.”
What’s the Problem?
These sorts of problems arise during Mercury retrograde because all of a sudden, normal communication becomes unreliable, filled with misinformation where important data is missing or misunderstood. The passage of information from one person to the other seems to be unintentionally cloudy, confused, or unclear in some way. After all, Mercury does rule the mind, mental clarity, talking, self-expression, and overall communication.
During the retrograde period, a person’s intellectual, communication, and mental processes are less acute. They become careless, mistake-prone, and forgetful.
This explains why your actions and decisions during the retrograde often fail or seem “sabotaged.” Or, you may find that they will have to be redone, restructured, or adjusted in some way, when the retrograde period ends and Mercury goes direct.
Avoid ruining your life: don’t do these seven things during Mercury retrograde.
1. Don’t buy things (even on Amazon). That is—unless you enjoy making purchases that you’ll later regret, because you discover that something was wrong with the purchase. I once bought an expensive suit during the retrograde, only to find that two weeks later (when Mercury went direct), the same suit was on sale at 40 percent off.
In fact, it’s a bad time to buy anything, because you may eventually find out that it was “too big or too small,” or it just didn’t fit right, and you’ll need to return it. If you buy a gift for someone, be prepared for reactions like, “Thanks, but green is my worst color!” or “I already have one just like that.”
2. Don’t move to a new home or move out of state. You may think it’s a great idea to move to a smaller apartment to save money. Or, you may think you’re better off moving in with your parents during the Covid-19 virus. But you will regret it, if you do so during these three weeks. You are not thinking clearly and you do not have all the facts. When Mercury goes direct, you will regret your decision and have to modify or change it.
3. Don’t make agreements. It’s a horrible time for negotiating contracts or making decisions. Avoid entering into any agreements or signing any legal documents. Whatever you put into writing may require serious revision when Mercury goes direct. There is something in the details that you may miss.
And, there may be something you don’t know that you will only know after Mercury goes direct. I had a friend who got married during the Mercury retrograde; three weeks later, her new husband decided to tell her about the two children he had out of wedlock.
4. Don’t accept or start a job. If you do, you may regret it. I had one client disregard that advice. She accepted a new job and by the time she started the month after, when Mercury went direct, the company had changed her job so much that it no longer resembled the one that she had accepted. Her reporting relationship had also totally shifted from the great guy she was going to work for, to the loudmouth, chauvinistic boss from hell! During Mercury retrograde, things are not what they seem to be.
5. Don’t select a roommate or move in with one. I have a good friend who invariably finds himself looking for a roommate during the retrograde. Recently, he chose a person he was sure was the perfect roommate. Their credit checked out. They seemed nice enough and said all the right things at their “let’s get to know each other” meeting. But once Mercury went direct, he found out that instead of being a “neat-nik,” his new roommate was a slob, loved to play music loudly, and watched TV into the wee hours of the morning, because he was an insomniac.
6. Don’t repair your auto unless you absolutely have to. Repairs on the equipment in your car should be delayed. If you have to repair it, make sure to triple check the work that was done. Understand that you may find out when Mercury goes direct that the repair wasn’t properly done and will have to be done again.
8. Don’t forget to wear a mask, social distance, and wash your hands when you’re out in public. Mercury retrograde is a time when people are not thinking, so they have more accidents. It’s a time when one is prone to not following rules. It is also a time when a person is far more likely to get sick as a result. We will have a big spike in cases of coronavirus and deaths during Mercury retrograde. Make sure you protect yourself and others by being mentally alert, even during Mercury retrograde.
Note to naysayers: If you disregard this advice, here’s what will likely happen:
1. You’re likely to regret the decision you’ve made.
2. That decision will lead to unintended consequences.
3. You’ll have to modify or change it.
You can avoid these problems by waiting until Mercury goes direct to make important decisions. When that happens, clearer communication will return and necessary information will be more positively conveyed. Once again, important data can again be relied on, and you’ll see matters with 20/20 vision. Also, by waiting until Mercury is direct, you will possess important information that you didn’t know while Mercury was retrograde.
This new knowledge will help ensure you’re making the correct decision. If you heed this cautionary advice, you’ll have less frustration, fewer mistakes, and fewer disappointing failures during these three weeks.
Best of all, you’ll be in a better position to make your efforts successful starting July 12, 2020 when Mercury goes direct.
If you want to know where your personal transits are—to see if they are affecting you right now, go to the Free Transit Calculator and enter your birth date. Then, read about each transit that’s been discussed in other Elephant Journal articles.