In 1997, when the first book of the Harry Potter series came out, I was in my third year of medical school, not a particularly happy place to be.
Life can be tough in college with the drama of friends, relationships, and the tremendous pressure to succeed.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone took the world by storm, and changed my world too, quite literally.
The story of the innate search of belonging and love—a universal human quest—calmed my mind and reminded me of my roots.
The magic created by J.K. Rowling was so immense that it filled my heart with hope. The trio of Harry, Ron, and Hermione, 11-year-old wizards in magic school became the best example of friendship and camaraderie. The optimism of Dumbledore has inspired me in many difficult situations.
When I finally landed my hands on the book, it was 24 hours of pure bliss. Away from the routine world of despair, I was transported into a dream world of magic. I just never wanted the book to end, like the never-ending and always changing staircases of Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
During the current lockdown, I have been reading these books all over again with my nine and seven-year-old, and the magic is still alive and kicking.
The true to life characters and valiant heroes are truly out of this world.
We might not ever come across the same situations, but we all fight with the Lord Voldemort inside us. We make choices that define us.
I wish you a very Happy Birthday J.K. Rowling!
Thank you for making us believe in love, hope, and magic, again and again.
Here’s a list compiled by my kids of some of their favorite Harry Potter quotes they’ve come to love over the years.
It’s their tribute to one of the feistiest writers (and their favorite), J.K. Rowling:
1. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” ~ Albus Dumbledore
2. “The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should, therefore, be treated with great caution.” ~ Albus Dumbledore
3. “I am what I am, an’ I’m not ashamed. ‘Never be ashamed,’ my ol’ dad used ter say, ‘there’s some who’ll hold it against you, but they’re not worth botherin’ with.'” ~ Rubius Hagrid
4. “Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.” ~ Albus Dumbledore
5. “I think I’ll just go down and have some pudding and wait for it all to turn up—it always does in the end.” ~ Luna Lovegood
6. “We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.” ~ Sirius Black
7. “Dumbledore says people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.” ~ Hermione Granger
8. “It is the quality of one’s convictions that determines success, not the number of followers.” ~ Remus Lupin
9. Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.” ~ Albus Dumbledore
10. “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” ~ Albus Dumbledore
And this one is my favourite:
“Of love, loyalty, and innocence, Voldemort knows nothing.”
May your journey from darkness to light be filled with love.
Happy Birthday once again, J.K. Rowling.