Oil (coconut, olive, or sesame oil)
2 aubergines, cut into chunks
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-inch piece ginger, grated
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 to 1 tsp chili powder or flakes
400 ml coconut milk
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp peanut butter
Handful fresh coriander and lime to serve
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil in pan. Cook the aubergine in batches until soft and golden. Reserve aubergine for later.
2. No need to clean out the pan—add the onion and cook until soft and translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant. Then add the spices (cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili).
3. Add the coconut milk, peanut butter, and tamarind. Simmer gently and stir until peanut butter and tamarind are well combined and the curry is smooth. Use a hand blender to make consistency even smoother.
4. Add the aubergine and simmer for 15 minutes or until softened.
5. To serve, stir through coriander.