I recently read this article about the lost art of listening to an album the entire way through without distractions.
The next day, my 13-year-old daughter and I put our phones down and both danced and sat silently as we listened to Joni Mitchel’s album, “Blue.” It was glorious and we both ended the experience with such deep admiration for the music, the process, and even for each other for being together and present for the whole thing.
It was so nice to get lost in the melodies and lyrics and not do anything else at the same time—we have become such good multitaskers that doing just this one thing felt like a complete gift.
It’s funny, really, that this is deemed a luxury, something we have to actually purposefully attend to, but it is, and that’s okay. I love music so much and am always looking for more. I recently asked my Facebook friends for their favorite albums to listen to all the way through and I loved their responses.
So, here are my top 15 (it was so hard to choose). What are yours?
1. Grateful Dead: “American Beauty”
2. Bob Marley: “Legend”
3. The Beatles: “Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”
4. Cat Stevens: “Tea for the Tillerman”
5. Janis Joplin: “Pearl”
6. Israel Kamakawiwo’ole: “Facing Future”
7. Mandolin Orange: “Blindfaller”
8. Indigo Girls: “Strange Fire”
9. First Aid Kit: “The Lion’s Roar”
10. Brandi Carlile: “The Story”
11. The Chicks: “Taking the Long Way”
12. The Avett Brothers: “I And Love And You”
13. Van Morrison: “Moondance”
14. Jewel: “Pieces of You”
15. Ira Wolf: “The Closest Thing to Home”
Read 2 comments and reply