“Some days, I just want to see the clouds go by
and hear the birds sing.
Some days, I just want to sit with myself
and not say a thing.
Some days, I feel tired and I just want to be,
and in my being, I want to be reminded of how amazing I am and I can be.”
There are days when you just slump.
All the things that are important for you to be mindful of on your journey to self-love and acceptance simply lie scattered in front of you, and you just stare at them.
Some days, you feel exhausted.
Some days, the voice of the world takes over, and you feel submerged in the noise of criticism, invalidation, and misunderstanding.
Some days, you feel tired of being you.
And those are the days when you need someone to uplift you and remind you that you are amazing just the way you are.
Most of us are on this journey to accept and love ourselves. It’s not something that comes naturally to us, and we have to reprogram our mind to start looking at our own selves differently.
It takes time, effort, and patience to be able to stand before the mirror and talk to our own self with compassion, kindness, ease, and love because we’re used to berating ourselves and considering ourselves as nothing more and nothing less than a bundle of faults.
For some of us, loving and accepting ourselves is like trying to climb a mountain. And it’s only with time that we understand that there is no peak to conquer. It’s just about learning to be your “self” every step of the way.
It’s about taking off the masks of pretense and being comfortable in our own skin.
And some days, it gets tiring.
On those days, we just need to pause, breathe, and then slowly start walking again toward our Self—the one that feels easy, comfortable, and natural.
Here are some reminders for the days when you feel low on self-love:
1. “Life is too short to waste any amount of time on wondering what other people think about you. In the first place, if they had better things going on in their lives, they wouldn’t have the time to sit around and talk about you. What’s important to me is not others’ opinions of me, but what’s important to me is my opinion of myself.” ~
2. “One of the greatest regrets in life is being what others would want you to be, rather than being yourself.” ~
4. “You can be the most beautiful person in the world and everybody sees light and rainbows when they look at you, but if you yourself don’t know it, all of that doesn’t even matter. Every second that you spend on doubting your worth, every moment that you use to criticize yourself; is a second of your life wasted, is a moment of your life thrown away. It’s not like you have forever, so don’t waste any of your seconds, don’t throw even one of your moments away.” ~
5. “To the people who love you, you are beautiful already. This is not because they’re blind to your shortcomings but because they so clearly see your soul. Your shortcomings then dim by comparison. The people who care about you are willing to let you be imperfect and beautiful, too.” ~
6. “When you say ‘yes’ to others make sure you are not saying ‘no’ to yourself.” ~ Paulo Coelho
7. “Love yourself enough to set boundaries. Your time and energy are precious. You get to choose how you use it. You teach people how to treat you by deciding what you will and won’t accept.” ~ Anna Taylor
And finally, here’s my favorite one:
8. “When your world moves too fast and you lose yourself in the chaos, introduce yourself to each color of the sunset. Reacquaint yourself with the earth beneath your feet. Thank the air that surrounds you with every breath you take. Find yourself in the appreciation of life.” ~ Christy Ann Martine
Which one speaks to you?