Every few years, I rewatch “Friday Night Lights.”
If you’ve never seen it, you may be in for a binge session after reading these quotes.
Friday Night Lights follows the lives of the residents of Dillion, Texas, and their famous high school football team, led by the amazing (and sexy) Coach Taylor.
It’s one of those shows you can rewatch every few years and find new things to enjoy each time.
Coach Taylor loves football and he loves his team. To him, football builds character, teamwork, and a sense of self, and he passionately guides his players through their games and their lives.
Coach Taylor is someone we can all learn from.
Enjoy the following eleven quotes from this beautiful show.
1. “There’s not one person in this room who will ever be the same.” ~ Coach Taylor
We all experience the moments when we know we’ve crossed over from one version of ourselves to the next. After a critical defeat, Coach T reminds his players of what’s truly important.
2. “You know I thought God would cut me a break—because I’ve been such a good girl, right? Isn’t that the stupidest thing you ever heard?” ~ Layla
The worst things can still happen to the best of us.
3. “Give all of us gathered here tonight the strength to remember that life is so very fragile. We are all vulnerable, and we will all at some point in our lives fall. We will all fall. We must carry this in our hearts: that what we have is special, that it can be taken from us, and that when it is taken from us we will be tested. We will be tested to our very souls. We will now all be tested. It is these times, it is this pain, that allows us to look inside ourselves.” ~ Coach Taylor
This is the speech at the end of the pilot episode. It makes me sob every single time I watch it.
4. “Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose!” ~ Coach Taylor and Dillon Panthers and East Dillion Lions
The battle cry for the Dillion Panthers and East Dillion Lions.
5. “If you give a hundred percent of yourself tonight, people are gonna look at you differently. People are gonna think of you differently. And I promise you, you’re gonna look and think differently about yourselves.” ~ Coach Taylor
One of Coach Taylor’s pep talks before a big game.
6. “But honey, when a door closes, God opens a window. He don’t fumble the ball, baby. He always gets the touchdown.” ~ Mama Smash
My favorite character on the show is Smash’s mom, Corrina. She’s fierce, smart, hard-working, and full of wisdom.
7. “You listen to people that love you and you listen to people that you trust. Most of all, you listen to yourself.” ~ Coach Taylor
Coach guides receiver Smash Williams to trust his gut and be smart about his choices.
8. “Don’t quit on me. Don’t quit on yourself.” ~ Coach Taylor
After recruiting a new team member, Coach reminds him of the stakes involved if he walks away.
9. “In my gut, I think there’s only one thing standing between us and the playoffs. And it’s not our opponents. It’s ourselves.” ~ Coach Taylor
Coach imparting some wisdom to the team and reminding them of the power they possess.
10. “We’re getting there. Slowly but surely, we’re getting there.” ~ Coach Taylor
Coach reminds himself of the incredible progress he’s made with his new team.
11. “I don’t accept that fate for myself.” ~ Tyra
Tyra may live in a small town, but she’s smart enough to know she doesn’t belong in a small town.
“Friday Night Lights” explores all the yummy themes: falling in love, growing up, finding yourself, believing in your dreams, the power of connection and support, the oneness of team-building, going after what you want, and trusting yourself. It’s an easy show to watch, and it’s even easier to fall in love with each and every character.
If you don’t have any weekend plans, I would grab a cup of your favorite something and press “play” on the pilot episode of “Friday Night Lights.”
You’ll be so glad you did.